Thursday, March 19, 2009

Electric Chain Saws

My wife has been after me for some time to chop down three scrubby looking oak trees in our backyard. A few years ago she purchased, as a gift(???), an electric chain saw for me to use around the house. It was a Remington 14 inch chain saw. As electric chain saws go, it cut whatever needed cutting without much trouble.

Not long after buying our house she made the observation that three oak trees grouped together at the fence line were blocking the sun from our swimming pool. They were just nuisance oaks not the grand oaks that are so common in Florida. So, I agreed to cut them down just as soon as I could find the time. (That excuse doesn't always work.) This past week I found the time.

Grouping a couple of extension cords together so I could get to the trees, I fired up my trusty Remington chain saw. The first tree came down with no problem. The second oak was the larger of the three and the closest to the fence. Chain link of course. Not being very good with a chain saw you can guess what happened next. Yep, I cut almost all the way through the tree and right into the damn fence. The strange noise from the saw was the motor running, rapidly, but the chain wasn't moving. Whatever in the saw makes the chain go around was broken.

I really wanted to get this do it yourself project over and done with so, I headed to the nearest home improvement store which in our case is Lowes. They were out of any kind of electric chain saw I could afford. Not being brand conscious I just wanted a saw that would let me complete the job. We don't live to far from a Home Depot so I drove to their store hoping I could get a chain saw that I could afford and get this job finished.

In stock was a Homelite 14 inch electric chain saw Model# UT43100 that had my name all over it. For $49.97 plus tax that chainsaw was mine. Already put together by the good people at Homelite the only thing I had to do when I got it home was plug it in, turn it on, and start cutting. An interesting feature of this saw is the ease with which you can tighten the chain. One good sized knob loosens the motor housing cover and another sizable knob, easily turned, adjusts the chain tension. Very simple. It also has a chain guard at the tip to prevent clods like me from getting into fence lines.

In about an hour I finished cutting the oaks including chopping 'em up into logs for the firepit. Electric chain saws are tailor made for guys like me. Only needed for do it yourself projects around the house where electricity is required. Very easy to use. Beats the crap out of a hand saw. Especially at my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment